Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cha-Cha-Cha-Changes

Lately I have been reflecting on our decision to move to Austin, Texas. I remember when Garth came home and mentioned that ONEOK had an “opportunity” available in Austin. He was going to interview for the position just to see what it was all about. That was in July of 2008. Not until October 8, the day Sophia was born, standing in the hospital with our 8-hour old newborn, did Garth receive confirmation that he was being offered the position. What a whirlwind of emotions!! He did not accept immediately, he still had small details to work out and he had never even been to Austin. Road Trip (for him)! When Garth returned from his first visit to Austin, just by the look on his face I knew we were going to be changing our address. So in January 2009 we made the move.

It has been an adventure to say the least. There have definitely been times when we desperately needed our old support system of friends and family. There have been times when I have dragged by heals regarding getting out to meet new friends and fully embrace the move. It took all summer, but I finally started to accept Austin as our home. We have spent much of our time together as a family, and for that we are a much stronger couple and we have become even better friends (if that was possible). I have also had the opportunity to stay at home with my girls. Stay At Home Mom is not a title I would wear well… but I love it. I finally have gotten used to Austin traffic, Austin weather, and I can match local news anchors to their respective stations. I know some of the best places to eat, and I’ve been out on 6th Street! We have met many wonderful new friends, and even Izzy has her own circle of friends.

In Austin, possibly due to the city’s culture of fitness and wellbeing, we have started eating much healthier, became much more active, and found what may be the best workout facility in the world….CrossFit Central. The coaches and fellow CrossFfitters have helped shape our ideas about what kind of life we want to live….as partners, as parents, and as members of a community. We signed up for a one-year membership to CrossFit Central, mainly because that is as long as they allow. We truly feel blessed to have this experience at this time in our lives and hope to continue this lifelong commitment to staying healthy and fit. I know that without CrossFit I would not have pulled myself out of my slump. They have inspired me to set goals for myself I never believed possible after two babies and two c-sections. Prayer to God and going to CrossFit Central has brought me back to life…

God has opened many doors for our family through Garth’s career with ONEOK. We have always listened and prayed for guidance on making the best decisions for our family. The decision to move down to Austin has been both the toughest and best decision we have made together. We are without a doubt so much better for it.

BUT………………..

Another “opportunity” has presented itself for Garth’s career, an opportunity that he has happily accepted and one that will again change our address. When we first heard of this opportunity, without many additional details, we wondered where it might take us? Where does ONEOK operate? Kansas City? Oklahoma City? Tulsa? Was it something new in Austin? (I secretly hoped)

Again Garth took a road trip and when he returned I knew by the look on his face we were going… I didn’t know where but his face said it all.

It is so bittersweet, just as we have found our place in Austin it is now time to make a new place for our family. Garth will begin traveling almost immediately and I will stay here with the girls. Because I have found such good friends here I will try to stay through the first of June, to give myself some time to get used to the idea of moving again. We are very excited and at the same time I am typing through tears. My youngest Sophia is a TEXAN she has lived 15 months out of the 17 of her life so far in Texas… and Izzy has spent half of her life in Texas. It is really all they know. There are so many things that we haven’t done here yet and we have to hurry and complete our list…. Pictures with the bluebonnets were one. We will make the most of the time we have left and live every day as an adventure in Austin before it is time to leave. I have said many times since we moved here that I feel like we are on vacation… well the vacation seems to be coming to a close.

That being said, without further adieu, if you click the play button you will find out our new destination…

12 comments:

  1. Yay Nat! I am so super excited that you will be back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!!!! Will you come back to Owasso??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I know you'll miss Texas but Tulsa will be happy to have you all back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha the suspense was killing me! I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys at all the Tulsa 5K's now right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SOOOOO EXCITED! AND SO IS PEGI!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Nat I am so selfishly happy to have you back! Although I know that it will be hard to leave your beautiful home in Austin! I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW cute are you guys with the video!!! :) HOw very exciting!! although I know it will be hard to leave Austin. CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!! How exciting! Congrats to Garth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on coming back home! I have enjoyed reading your blog and think that you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATS!!! AND WELCOME BACK!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHA! there are houses for sell around where u used to live! loool Welcome back. let us know when the party is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO, so excited! Can't wait for you all to be back! :)

    ReplyDelete