Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What's cook'n...

Confession... I love to cook. I don't like to really follow recipes, therefore I hate to bake... there is a difference. My favorite way to cook is looking in our pantry and trying to throw something together... I like to taste it in my thoughts and then see if I can recreate the masterpiece from my head. I watch the food network all of the time for inspiration. Garth said I should be posting these D'lish Dishes on the blog so here it goes... Tonights D'lish Dish

Layered Taco Goodness
(Inspired by an episode I watched of Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade)

Ingredients
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1 package shredded fiesta mix cheese
1 package of corn tortillas (10 will do)
1 large can diced tomatoes (drained)
1 small can green chillies (drained)
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 package of corn tortillas (10 will do)
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 package taco seasoning
2 cans white chicken breast (drained)
Olive Oil
Cooking Spray
Casserole dish

Preheat oven to 400

Place tortillas in a bowl and cover with chicken broth to soak. Set aside.

Drizzle olive oil in a skillet and heat.
When oil is ready add onions.
Cook until translucent.

Add both cans of drained chicken to onions and package of taco seasoning. Cook until meat and onions are covered with seasoning and warm. (you might need to drain excess water off when finished)

In a large bowl combine the chicken and onions, green chillies, black beans, tomatoes and most of the cheese. This is the goodness!
Stir until it is all mixed together

Spray casserole dish with cooking spray. Cover the bottom of dish with one layer of soaked tortillas.

Add thin layer of goodness, then cover with another layer of tortillas.

Repeat this until the goodness filling is gone. You want to make sure that the last layer is of the goodness, not the tortillas.

Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake for 30 minutes or until boiling.


Easy, Easy and Quick!

Now there are a few different things you could do to this to make it your own... make it a vegi-version meal and leave out the meat and add more beans. Change from chicken to beef or pulled pork.
Anyway you have to try it. Our family enjoyed it... in fact I think I am going to have a little snack.

Let me know what ya think!







2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Natalie, I'm definitley going to try this! That is also my favorite way to cook, although I'm not always successful. :) Trial and error, I guess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...I'm thinking you're the next big thing on the cooking network.

    ReplyDelete